Friday, March 5, 2010

Comfortably Quiet

Had an interesting chat with a good friend of mine yesterday as we were walking back from the Unigym. He was asking me whether I did any 'quiet time' here since I've gotten to Tassie. Well, the truth is, my quiet time ain't exactly quiet. To each, his or her own way of doing their quiet time. So my quiet time is when I pick up the guitar and start playing a tune and I would automatically start singing something. To me, 'quiet time' is when there's nothing else in my mind except God. A time where I separate all other things, cut off from the world with only God in mind. Yes, it sounds a little mystical and all but it's through the singing that I believe is one way I talk to God. When my spirit just pours out through song.

On the other hand, one might say that you shouldn't need the guitar and the music to do quiet time. Yes, I am guilty of slacking on quiet time without the presence of the guitar. It's just that I've always had a guitar around and it's through music that I find it most convenient and comfortable for me to communicate with God. My friend brought up the history of the song "Heart of Worship" where the song was inspired by the worship team when they conducted a worship session without the music. That's why the first line of the song goes "When the music fades and all is stripped away".

I see the point he's trying to make. My quiet time with God should not be dependent on the availability of my guitar but rather the availability of my heart for God. I find myself challenged because I feel pretty much contented with my level of faith that I have now. I find this phrase constantly on my mind, 'get out of your comfort zone!!'. Perhaps getting out of my comfort zone isn't going out into the mission field or serving in ministries but to increase my capacity in knowing God and to continue to seek Him everyday.



No comments: